How about a few little know leap facts to get you through the day:
- Julius Caesar introduced the idea of Leap Years when he ordered his astronomer, Sosigenes, to simplify the calendar. It takes Earth 365.242 days to orbit the sun, so Sosigenes opted for the 365-day year with an extra day every four years to scoop up the extra hours. But, he created too many leap years. Every 400 years, there are three extra days, so to compensate, centuries must be divisible by 400 to count as leap years. Years like 1700, 1800 and 1900 are only 365 days long, rather than 366.
- The chances of having a birthday on a leap day are about one in 1,461.
- Leap year babies, called leaplings, are said to have unusual talents by astrologers.
- Two women have given birth to three leap day babies, according to the New York Daily News. The Henriksen family from Norway had their children on leap days in 1960, 1964 and 1968. The most recent family to tie the record is the Estes family from Utah. Their children were born in 2004, 2008 and 2012.
- Even more rare, the eighth premier of Tasmania, James Milne Wilson, was born on a leap day and died on a leap day in the 1800s, according to the World Heritage Encyclopedia.
- In Ireland, 29 February is called Bachelor’s Day, when women are allowed to propose to men. Queen Margaret of Scotland began the tradition in 1288. If a man refused the proposal, he would be fined a kiss, a silk dress or 12 pairs of gloves.
- One in five engaged couples in Greece will plan to avoid getting married in a leap year. They believe it is bad luck.
- In order to gain the trust of the indigenous people of Jamaica, Christopher Columbus used the lunar eclipse on February 29, 1504, to trick them. The local chiefs had stopped helping his crew with the food and provisions they had been supplying. Columbus warned them that God was going to punish them by painting the moon red. During the eclipse, Columbus said God would end the punishment if they cooperated. The chiefs capitulated and agreed to give them supplies, and saw that the lunar eclipse had ended.
- In Russia it is believed a leap year is likely to bring more freak weather patterns and a greater risk of death all round.
- In Taiwan, married daughters traditionally return home during the leap month as it is believed the lunar month can bring bad health to parents. Daughters bring pig trotter noodles to wish them good health and good fortune.
A happy birthday also goes out to my wonderful Aunt, and proud leapling, who celebrates her 15th birthday this year! You’re most definitely 1 in 1,461. Love you!
This Christmas I got my mom and my aunt this amazing hair brush that, originally, I didn’t expect much from. Every time I buy a product other people rave about it seems to always be a dud for me. I read some great reviews and figured I’d get it – after all it was only $9. Worst case it was another crappy hair brush to add to the collection.
For those who know me know I have super long hair now down to my hips. If you don’t know me, well now you know I have hair down to my hips. Long hair, don’t care! My hair is pin straight and knots if you look at it the wrong way. Typically I shower, let my hair air dry and then hack at it with a brush when I actually have to look decent. Brushing my hair is painful for both me and my split ends. Even growing up I always had long hair that knotted easily. Sitting on the floor while my mom brushed my hair as I cried was pretty much a nightly occurrence.
While I was back home for Christmas I figured I’d give my mom’s new brush a shot. Again, not expecting all that much I gave the brush a shot after the shower. Well color me shocked, brushing my hair was actually a pleasant experience for once. I wasn’t wincing in pain or breaking my hair. It was painless and easy on my already traumatized hair.
The brush has incredibly soft bristles and has a lot of give when brushing your hair. It also happens to come in a several different colors, patterns and sizes to match your personality. Here are my favorites:
The “squirt” brush, as they call it, is great to keep in your gym bag, car or pocketbook. They also sell the full size brush and squirt brushes in multi-packs. I HIGHLY recommend this brush to anyone, no matter your hair type. My mom has thin hair, I have long hair and my aunt has super curly hair and the brush works great for all of us. These make awesome gifts, for yourself or the ladies in your life, as they are inexpensive but awesome! Definitely gets five stars and two thumbs up from me.
It’s been a couple of months since my last post, but it was for an incredibly important reason. I have been spending 100% of my free time binge watching all seasons of the Doctor Who reboot.
It all started when I took Josh to see the Doctor Who Christmas special in theaters. Knowing he was a diehard Whovian I couldn’t pass on the opportunity to take him to see the special on the big screen. This year’s special starred River Song, a beloved character that Whovians absolutely adore. Of course seeing that episode with River convinced me Doctor Who was awesome and that I needed to go back and watch the entire reboot series from the first episode.
Episodes are usually 45 minutes to an hour long so I knew it was going to take a long time to get through all 117 episodes. What really threw a wrench in the works was that thanks to “Friends” Netflix was going to be nixing the Doctor Who series to pay the bill for a series I can watch on 10 different channels at any given moment. But I digress. I now had one month to watch 117 episodes before Netflix took them away. Challenge accepted.
Well, it is now February 1st and I made it through 104 episodes. I failed my mission. I was able to watch seasons 1-7 in their entirety, but didn’t make it to season 8. I purchased season 9 on Amazon for Josh, so I just have to track down season 8 to get fully caught up.
In the last month I have literally neglected all of my adult responsibilities to try and watch as many episodes as I can. I finally went grocery shopping and did laundry for the first time in a month. I was literally eating, sleeping and watching Doctor Who. Public service announcement: do not neglect your house cleaning duties when living with two guys and a dog because you will regret it. I think I am going to need a little extra disinfectant. Or maybe some gasoline and a match. I’ll let you know later this week.